Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Every week she posts an idea for a 'Top Ten' list relating to books, and encourages other book bloggers to respond and participate. All the details are listed on her site. I didn't really pick ten books. Instead, I picked a series, an entire genre, and then a couple books. Breaking the rules a little, but when you actually think about it, there's more than ten books listed ;)

This weeks topic: Most intimidating books

1. A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin  -  I've read the first in this series and LOVED it. I have the second waiting on my bookshelf, but I'm too scared to start it! It's just because of the size; I know I'll love it, but its such a long book that all other books will likely get neglected.


 






2. Classics - I just can't pick one book that's intimidating in this genre - they all are! I have a bunch at home that I really want to read, but I'm afraid that I won't like them. I'm worried that I won't understand the writing, or that I'm not going to understand what the whole meaning of the book was. So I just don't pick them up. Some of the ones I really want to read at home are: all of Jane Austen's, Oliver Twist, Wuthering Heights, Les Miserables, Anna Karenina and Jane Eyre.


3. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet. Again, the reason I haven't read this yet, even though it's on my shelf, is that its such a large book! I've heard really good things about it, but its intimidating!








4. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski. Again, it comes down to the size of the book for me sometimes. I really like it when I can read books fast (in a couple days). But when I see the task of picking up a long book, I know that so many other books will be just sitting on the shelf forever.. and it makes me sad! haha Hopefully I'll get to it soon :)




7 comments :

  1. The classics are certainly intimidating! I wish I was more into reading them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I am going to try to read to classics this year (not that many, but its daunting nonetheless!) for the classic reads challenge. Maybe it will spark my interest! (:

      Delete
    2. Oops I meant *two classics this year!

      Delete
  2. Aww I LOVE Pride and Prejudice! But I was super intimidating before reading it. Once I read my first Jane Austen, I flew through the rest and I love them now! Great list :)

    Here's my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that I love them that much! Hopefully I can get to one soon :) Suggestions for which Jane Austen book to read first?

      Delete
  3. Ah yes! I agree. I haven't read Game of Thrones though I own the first book. It just seems so long and I don't want to devote the time for that. (Plus, my boyfriend bought it for me so it wasn't like I had the full desire to read it to begin with.) And classics were on my list as well. I blame school for making classics so hard to read. Well, harder than they already are ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give GOT a try! I was intimidated by it (still am), but I really loved the story (:

      Delete