Monday, August 26, 2013

HELP! I'm in a Book Slump :(

I hate when this happens! I haven't been in the mood for any of the books I've grabbed off my shelf lately. That's probably why I have 4 currently going....

I start one book, Angels in the Fire, and its just not grabbing my attention, though it has a lot of promise. So I though maybe it was just not the time to read it, and I started another - Pride and Prejudice. I've wanted to read this book for so long, but never got into it. When I started it this time, it went much better, and I'm about 60 pages into it. However, I just found myself wanting something else. So then... book number 3 comes along: Envy by Sandra Brown. I love, love, love her books, and I can usually count on them sucking me in! No surprise here, it didn't do the job. So I moved on to book number 4... The Light Between Oceans. This has also been on my TBR list forever, but as I was reading it in the car yesterday, I found myself distracted and thinking about other stuff.

Lately, instead of reading, I find myself wanting to do something different (gasp!), like watch a TV show. this has happened to me a couple times before. My only thought is that my brain needs a little break to do something mindless - like watch TV :) I just started watching Private Practice from the beginning on Netflix because I've only seen a handful of episodes since it began.

Any ideas how to get out of this funk?! Who else has experienced this?
I hope I'm not alone! My initial thought was just to take a break from reading for a week or two, and then get back into it. But I have so many review books (and personal books) waiting to be read that it makes me feel guilty! HELP!


6 comments :

  1. I was like that for 4 months last year after surgery.... It took a real page turner to get me over the slump. Stay away from the classics or anything too heavy. I read a great thriller and the sea sisters by Lucy Clarke, and I was off !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll have to grab a thriller from my shelf and maybe that will help :) I'm definitely staying away from heavy stuff right now... Hopefully this won't last too long! I don't like it!

      Delete
  2. You are not alone! Sometimes I just have to push through. I pick a book (or if I can't decide I make my husband pick one out for me) and I just sit down and force myself to read. Or maybe you just need a little time off. There is nothing wrong with that. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks (: I forced myself to read a little yesterday and it went pretty well. Probably the book itself, but I still think I'm going to take a semi-break and just not read as much.

      Delete
  3. I have been on and off my own version of a book slump (I call it Reader's Block) for all of August, so good luck with getting out of your own. The best advice is to read a very good, light, and funny book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol It really sucks, doesn't it?! I finally pushed through Envy by Sandra Brown and I loved it! However, I'm still taking reading a little slower and don't want to force myself to read when I'm not feeling it. Thanks for stopping by! Hope you get out of your book slump soon!

      Delete