Tuesday, September 17, 2013

[Review] Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Publisher: Crown
Publishing Date: 2012
415 Pages

Synopsis

Marriage can be a real killer. One of the most critically acclaimed suspense writers of our time, New York Times bestseller Gillian Flynn takes that statement to its darkest place in this unputdownable masterpiece about a marriage gone terribly, terribly wrong. The Chicago Tribune proclaimed that her work "draws you in and keeps you reading with the force of a pure but nasty addiction." Gone Girl's toxic mix of sharp-edged wit and deliciously chilling prose creates a nerve-fraying thriller that confounds you at every turn.

On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne's fifth wedding anniersary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick's clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn't doing himself any favors with the cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife's head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media - as well as Amy's fiercely doting parents - the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he's definitely bitter - but is he really a killer?

As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn't do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?

With her razor-sharp writing and trademark psychological insight, Gillian Flynn delivers a fast-paced, devilishly dark, and ingeniously plotted thriller that confirms her status as one of the hottest writers around.

My Review

This was a really good book! I really enjoyed the writing style of Ms. Flynn and would love to read her other books as well. I started this book a couple weeks ago and like it, but didn't feel the need to always be reading it. This probably had more to do with just being busy and having tons of things going on in my life. But then, a couple days ago, I sat down and was determined to finally finish the book. When I got back in to reading it, I couldn't put it down! There are so many twists that you don't expect and the characters are quite... interesting. I never really knew what was going to happen next and then when everything started falling together, I couldn't believe it! The ending was very strange, and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I think it actually fits the story really well, since the entire story is crazy. Normally, I wouldn't like this ending at all. But like I said, it fits the story and the characters! This was a great work of fiction by Gillian Flynn, and I can definitely see what all the hype is about! I highly recommend this to everyone, especially those who love mysteries and thrillers. :)


3 comments :

  1. Such a fascinating book. The end maddened me and I hate the characters and what they did. But somehow I love the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I feel the same way! The characters are awful! Especially to each other! But maybe that's what made me love the book so much! It was something new and different from other books.

      Delete