Wednesday, January 15, 2014

[Review] The Road by Cormac McCarthy

The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Publisher: Vintage Books
Publishing Date: March 28, 2007
287 Pages
Format: paperback, purchased

Synopsis

A father and his son walk alone through burned America. Nothing moves in the ravaged landscape ssave the ash on the wind. It is cold enough to crack stones, and when the snow falls it is gray. The sky is dark. Their destination is the coast, although they don't know what, if anything, awaits them there. They have nothing; just a pistol to defend themselves against the lawless bands that stalk the road, the clothes they are wearing, a cart of scavenged food - and each other.

My Review

This book has been sitting on my shelves for a very long time, and I just never got around to reading it. I finally decided, with the push of a new challenge (which you can see here), to read some books off my TBR pile. So I picked this one up.

For the most part, I enjoyed this book. It was different from so many books that I've read in the past. There wasn't much going on in the story besides the father and son traveling south. Sure, a few things happen here and there, but overall, not much. But, oddly enough, I found that intriguing and so different. I wish we would have known their names though. I feel like that would have been something that could add to the story and help readers identify with them more. Nevertheless, even though I enjoyed the book, I strongly disliked the ending. I want to know what happens! It left me with SO many questions! I can't list them here because I think it would give too much away, but dang, just tell me! Oh well, I guess that adds to the mystery of it all... (:

Buy on Amazon

I also just found out there's a movie based on this book. It could be interesting. I'm sure I would like it since I liked the book (though the ending may drive me crazy again) (:


No comments :

Post a Comment