Friday, January 17, 2014

Splendour in the Grass by William Wordsworth



What though the radiance
Which was once so bright
Be now for ever taken from my sight, 
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, 
Of glory in the flower, 
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind; 
In the primal sympathy
Which having been must ever be; 
In soothing thoughts that spring
Out of human suffering; 
In the faith that looks through death, 
In years that bring the philosophic mind.

                                                                                       - William Wordsworth

I heard this poem a few days ago when I was watching an old season of Criminal Minds and fell in love. This poem jumped out at me in a way that no poetry ever has before. I think it's incredibly beautiful. Poems often have so many different interpretations, and what I think it means may not be how someone else sees it. But this poem really reminds me of my cousin and my grandmother. To me its about loss of a loved one and not thinking about the grief their death has caused, but rather the great memories that you had with them. My cousin died very tragically and violently when I was 10 (over 14 years ago), and my family hasn't been quite the same since.  And then my grandmother died almost 6 years ago, and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of them both. This poem just really makes me think of them and all the joy and goodness they brought to our lives.

Now I'm discovering a strong desire to read more poetry, but I don't really know where to start! If anyone has any suggestions, I'm definitely open to them (:

No comments :

Post a Comment