Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Tell Me Something Tuesday 1.28.14



Tell Me Something Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by Heidi @ Rainy Day Ramblings. Each week a new question is presented. Check out Heidi's blog for all the details :)

This weeks question:

So you want to be a blogger edition: what are your tips for contacting authors and publishers for interviews, ARCs, etc? 

I guess I would just tell people to just reach out and try. The worst that's going to happen is you're going to get denied an ARC, interview, guest post, etc. It's not the worst thing in the world. There are always other ARCs that you'll want to ask for, and you'll get approved for more than you thought you would! I know when I started out, I requested so many books, and got approved for so many, that I ran out of time to read them all! Then I stopped asking for so many and only concentrated on ones that I really, really wanted. I would also suggest to just be honest. You don't have to make up things or embellish what you do on your blog just to make a publisher like you. I tell publishers or authors that I am interested in their book, and then I always include a link to my blog so they can check it out if they'd like to.

One other thing is that the longer you are around, the more review requests you tend to get from new authors. At the beginning, I always felt like I needed to accept their request to review a book they wrote. But you'll soon learn that there's not enough time to read everything! I found that I was forcing myself to read some of these books that didn't really interest me, and then books that I really wanted to read got pushed aside.

 Become a book blogger because you love read and talk about books. It's the best when you find other like-minded people to talk about what you love (:   

2 comments :

  1. I totally agree with you. You will never know until you try. As long as you are nice and professional and include a link to your blog and tell a little about the blog I think you are good. I also agree that you need to be selective about what books you agree to review so you don't get overwhelmed and only request books you want to read. Great post!

    Kay @ It's a Book Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! (: I definitely overwhelmed myself in the beginning by asking for too many books - mostly because I didn't think I would get a lot - and second just because it was so much fun. I'm much smarter about it now (:

      Delete