Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Read the Book Before the Movie Comes Out!

Lately I've been seeing a lot of posts about whether a book was better than the movie, and reading books first. Then I stumbled upon the Barnes and Noble blog about books to read before they become movies this year (here), and another blog post about five other books to read before they're movies (here).

I'm not extremely picky about reading a book before seeing the movie, but I do prefer it. However, I read The Hobbit after seeing the first movie, and just started The Time Traveler's Wife, and I watched that movie years ago! Sometimes I just can't get to all my books and I really want to see a particular movie, so I don't always read the book first.

Below are some of the books that will become movies this year! (I got the list from B&N) I'm very excited for some, and others I'm indifferent about because I either haven't read them yet, or haven't even heard of them.

A Most Wanted Man, by John le Carre (Jan. 19)
Haven't heard of it


The Monuments Men, by Robert M. Edsel (Feb. 7)
I've been seeing previews for this and it looks pretty good! Plus there's tons of big-name actors in it as well. I didn't realize it was based on a book, but I'll definitely check it out now (:








Vampire Academy, by Richelle Mead (Feb. 14)
Can't wait for this to come out! However, I haven't read the book yet. I just got it in the mail a week or so ago, and was going to start it, but wanted to get one that's been on my shelf for a while done first. I definitely plan to read this before I see the movie! I've heard such great things about this series!

Winter's Tale, by Mark Helprin (Feb. 14)
The previews for this look SO good! Again, didn't realize it was based on a book, but this love story sounds wonderful!

In Secret, based on Therese Raquin, by Emile Zola (Feb. 21)
Haven't heard of this book

A Long Way Down, by Nick Hornby (Mar 7)
Again, no idea what this is about


Divergent, by Veronica Roth (Mar 21)
Another movie I CAN'T wait to see! I absolutely loved the book, and I think Shailene Woodley will make a great Tris. Even though the next two books didn't interest me as much as the first, I still think the movies will be great (: I've already got a 'date' with my best friend to see this the weekend it comes out!







The Fault in Our Stars, by John Green (June 6)
Really liked this book as well. Didn't leave me crying like it did a lot of other people, but I thought it was good. I think I'll wait until it comes out on DVD to see it, or go see it at the cheap-seats. I'm interested to see how Shailene Woodley will do in this compared to Divergent since they're so different!

The Hundred-Foot Journey, by Richard C. Morais (Aug 8)
Haven't heard of this one




The Giver, by Lois Lowry (Aug 15)
I can't believe it's been SO long since this book was published and it's finally going to be a movie! I can't wait to see it! I think Meryl Streep and Jeff Bridges will be amazing! I love this book so much, now I just need to read the others in the series (:

Dark Places, by Gillian Flynn (Sept 1)
I haven't read this book yet, but I really enjoyed Gone Girl, so I'm going to give it a try! It sounds pretty good. I'm sure I won't see this in theaters, so I'll most likely read it before I see it!

This is Where I Leave You, by Jonathan Tropper (Sept 12)
Not sure I've heard of this..

The Maze Runner, by James Dashner (Sept 19)
Read this book, and definitely want to see the movie! The names of the actors don't sound familiar, which I sometimes prefer in movies - it makes their characters seem more real.


Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn (Oct 3)
Ben Affleck as Nick? Umm, yes please! Oh, and did you know Flynn wrote a new ending to this?! I definitely wanted to throw the book at the wall when I finished this, but I don't know how I'll feel about a new ending! I guess we'll see!


Mockingjay, Part 1, by Suzanne Collins (Nov 21)
Why do the last movies of a series always have to be split into two parts? I feel like this is way overdone... and I think this book could be in one movie. Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the book, and I've really enjoyed the movies so far. But it just drags it out and annoys me!

The Hobbit: There and Back Again, by JRR Tolkien (Dec 17)
Again, this one book was made into three movies. Was it necessary? I don't know. I really liked the book, and I really like the movies, but when does it end?!

Wild: A Journey From Lost to Found, by Cheryl Strayed (TBD)
I saw a preview for this movie with Reese Witherspoon and it looked interesting. Then, a few days later, I was talking to a friend who said she was in the middle of reading this and liked it so far. Not sure if it's something that will interest me, but I might give it a shot. I've decided to try to read more non-fiction from now on - it won't be a lot, but just maybe a book or two a year.


Which ones have you read? Will you see the movies? Do you prefer to read the book first, or will you watch the movie first?

2 comments :

  1. I published a similar list on my blog! Can't wait for Monuments Men, Gone Girl, Dark Places, Wild and Unbroken. I have read all but Monuments Men. Happy reading and watching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I really want to read Dark Places soon - or at least before I see the movie!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete