Sunday, November 9, 2014

[Review] Second Chance at the Sugar Shack by Candis Terry

Second Chance at the Sugar Shack by Candis Terry
Series: Sugar Shack #1
Publisher: Avon Books
Publishing Date: August 9, 2011
Format: paperback, won
336 Pages
Links: Goodreads | Amazon | B&N


Synopsis 

Kate Silver’s back in town, and her dead mother just won’t leave her alone.

Kate usually spends her days dressing Hollywood A-listers, but after her estranged mother dies she finds herself elbow-deep in flour in her parents’ bakery . . . in Deer Lick, Montana. She thought she’d left small-town life far, far behind, but it seems there are a few loose ends.

The boy she once loved, Deputy Matt Ryan, is single and sexy and still has a thing for her . . . and handcuffs.

Her mother, who won’t follow the white light, is determined to give maternal advice from beyond the grave.

And somehow Kate’s three-day stay has, well . . . extended. She never planned to fill her mother’s pie-baking shoes—she prefers her Choos, thank you very much. But with the help of a certain man in uniform, Kate quickly learns that sometimes second chances are all the more sweet.

My Review

I read this book in one day and absolutely loved it! I was first introduced to Candis Terry when I was part of a tour for Sweetest Mistake, her Sweet, Texas series. I entered a giveaway and was lucky enough to win the first two books in that series, as well as Second Chance and Somebody Like You, book 3 in the Sugar Shack series. 

I didn't really know what this book was about when I first started reading it, but knew how much I loved her other series and I had won it, so I wanted to see what it was all about! After I started reading, I read the synopsis on the back of the book - a little out of order, since most people do that first (: When I read that Kate's dead mother talks to her... well... I wasn't sure what to expect! That being said, I immediately fell in love with the characters and Deer Lick, Montana. I'm a sucker for small country towns and this one seemed really sweet. 

Kate was an easy character to like. She's worked hard for her career and lifestyle. She had some troubles with her mom growing up, and her death brought out some unresolved issues. Regardless of how anyone feels about the afterlife in real life, in this story, Kate was able to come to terms with her mom's death and the events of the past 10 years. And Deputy Matt Ryan? Who doesn't love a man in uniform?? He's a hunk - no other way to put it - tall, dark, and handsome with ice blue eyes. On top of that, he's a sweet guy! Once we learn about his history with Kate, his actions make sense and we root for their relationship to work out. 

Candis Terry is definitely an author that's going to stay on my list of must-reads! I've loved the Sweet, Texas books that have been released so far, and after this one, I can't wait to continue reading the series! I was going to try not to buy any more books this year, just to get through my never-ending TBR pile, but I must get my hands on Any Given Christmas, the second book in this series. If you like romance, read this!! I'm going to be recommending it to everyone!


Other Books in this Series




If you liked this book, try these... 
(my reviews listed below)


No comments :

Post a Comment