Thursday, September 10, 2015

Don't be ashamed...

We've all probably heard of slut-shaming. But what about book-shaming? How many times have we seen what someone else is reading and think (or say) "You're reading that?!" Think about it. We've all probably done it when we saw someone reading or raving about Fifty Shades of Grey. I'm pretty sure I've done it. And the more I think about it, I'm not proud of it. 

Don't be ashamed of what you love to read. Whether it's romance, fantasy, sci-fi, historical fiction, mysteries. Over the last few months, I've realized that it really doesn't matter what I love to read. I shouldn't be ashamed of the fact that I love reading romance novels. Some people might think they're all works of fluff; but I don't. I love reading stories about love and romance and happily-ever-afters. I also really love mysteries; I try to figure out who-dun-it, but it doesn't always happen. Now these aren't the only kinds of books I like to read, but my point is, we shouldn't worry about what other people, other readers, think is "okay" to read. 

Sometimes it's not quite so direct as someone saying something; it could be a passive aggressive post in the blogging world or just the perception The time I feel like this happens the most is when I go to write a review and I see how other people didn't like it as much as I did. But that shouldn't change my thoughts on the book I read. Sure, it might make me think about it a little more, but generally it doesn't change my opinion much. Just because someone else doesn't like that book, or that genre, doesn't mean it's less or inferior to other books or genres. 

Life's too short, and there are too many books to not read what you like. 

No comments :

Post a Comment