Wednesday, December 30, 2015

[Review] Night by Elie Wiesel

Night by Elie Weisel
Publisher: Bantam Books
Publishing Date: April 1982
Format: paperback
109 Pages
Links: Goodreads | Amazon | B&N

Synopsis 

In Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel's memoir Night, a scholarly, Orthodox teenager is wracked with guilt at having survived the horror of the Holocaust & the genocidal campaign that consumed his family. His memories of the nightmare worlds of Auschwitz-Birkenau & Buchenwald present him with an intolerable question: how can the god he once so fervently believed in have allowed these monstrous events to occur? There are no easy answers in this harrowing book, which probes life's essential riddles with the lucid anguish only great literature achieves. It marks the crucial first step in Wiesel's lifelong project to bear witness for those who died.

My Review 

I hate reviewing books like this. The story itself is incredibly heartbreaking; but I didn't like the book. Does that make sense? Maybe not, but it does to me. What Elie Weisel went through is absolutely awful and I can't imagine surviving anything like that. I truly think it's amazing that he survived the Holocaust, persevered, and is able to tell his story. However, I can't exactly explain why I didn't like this book. Please remember, though, that just because I didn't like the book doesn't take away anything from his story and experiences.  Everyone should read memoirs similar to this. I know there are many people who would disagree with me, but it's simply my opinion. 

No comments :

Post a Comment